This iMinds instructional outline invites students to think critically about how we perceive drugs in our culture and how that may impact the way we perceive the risks associated with different drugs. It begins with a consideration pain medication using an episode from Degrassi.
English Language Arts 9
• Exploring stories narrative texts helps us understand ourselves and make connections to others and to the world
• Questioning what we hear, read and view contributes to our ability to be educated and engaged citizens.
• Exchange ideas and viewpoints to build shared understanding and extend thinking
• Transform ideas and information to create original texts
• Express an opinion and support it with credible evidence
Physical and Health Education 9
• Healthy choices influence our physical, emotional and mental well-being
• Assess and evaluate strategies for managing problems related to mental well-being and substance use
First Peoples’ principles of learning
• Learning is holistic, reflexive, reflective, experiential, and relational (focused on connectedness, on reciprocal relationships, and a sense of place)
• Learning involves recognizing the consequences of one’s actions