Endurance aerobic activities (like jogging, cycling, dancing, rowing and the like) have long been seen as reducing stress, relieving anxiety, enhancing mood and decreasing the perception of pain. The high that can sometimes accompany jogging even led to the creation of its own term, “runner's high.”
There are various theories on how this “high” occurs related to the natural release in the body of endorphins, endocannabinoids or leptin. These “natural drugs” activate the same mechanisms in the brain as opioids, cannabis or other drugs. While the research on the “runner’s high” is not definitive, there is solid evidence that exercise, even in smaller doses, can boost your mood, raise your energy level, relieve anxiety and make you feel calm and relaxed. This on top of all the other benefits of physical activity!
Links to Curriculum
First Peoples’ principles of learning
• Learning ultimately supports the well-being of the self, the family, the community, the land, the spirits, and the ancestors
• Learning involves recognizing the consequences of one’s actions
Physical and Health Education 8 Big ideas
• Daily participation in different types of physical activity influences our physical literacy and personal
health and fitness goals
• Lifelong participation in physical activity has many benefits and is an essential part of a healthy lifestyle
• Healthy choices influence our physical, emotional and mental well-being
• Describe how students’ participation in physical activities at school, at home, and in the community can influence their health and fitness
• Identify and apply strategies to pursue personal healthy-living goals
• Describe and assess strategies for promoting mental well-being, for self and others
• Describe and assess strategies for managing problems related to mental well-being and substance use, for
This license allows you to download and share this resource (copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format)
and adapt this resource (remix, transform, and build upon the work) for non-commercial purposes.
You must credit the creator of the resource and and license your new creations under the same license as the original.