The Solve to Outbreak Lab follows the BC’s New Curriculum for Grade 8 science. Sequentially, this lab would be part of the Grade 8 Biology unit, following lessons regarding microbes, the immune system, and vaccinations and antibiotics. Feel free to use any of the resources provided below for your online classroom.
Big Idea: How do humans and micro-organisms interact?
• Impact of epidemics and pandemics on human populations.
• Vaccination can prevent the spread of infectious disease
• Demonstrate an awareness of assumptions and bias in their own work
• Identify possible sources of error and suggest improvement to their investigation methods.
• Seek patterns and connections in data from their own investigations and secondary sources
• Use scientific understandings to identify relationships and draw conclusions