The Grade 5 and 10 Bamboo Shoots unit is a comprehensive and flexible teaching resource designed to help you bring Chinese Canadian history alive in your classroom. The unit contains adaptable lesson plans, blackline masters, and rubrics—as well as a timeline building game, relevant stories, and a rich collection of historical photographs and archival documents.
Lesson activities to accompany the vignette "Bea Zucco” from the acclaimed Knowledge Network series; Working People: A History of Labour in British Columbia produced by Landrock Entertainment. The lesson examines the work of Bea Zucco who championed the rights of workers afflicted by occupation related illnesses following the death of her husband who had been exposed to asbestos in the work place. This is a unit created by the Labour History Project, a group of retired and current British Columbia teachers collaborating to develop a series of lesson plans, activities, and workshops focused on labour studies and labour history. See: http://www.labourheritagecentre.ca/education/lesson-plans/
1. To be able to explain what workplace safety protocols are in place to protect workers in British Columbia.
2. To analyze the role of individual citizens in promoting social justice in Canada.
3. To be aware of how individuals can provide leadership as agents for change in such matters as workplaces safety.
4. Contribute to care of self, others, and community.
5. Access information and ideas on workplace safety prior to work placement to determine workplace safety risks.
6. Identify, demonstrate, and incorporate provincially legislated safety and
site-specific work-site safety procedures while at the work placement.
7. Understand occupational health and safety rights and responsibilities, including trade-specific hazards.
This license allows you to download and share this resource (copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format)
and adapt this resource (remix, transform, and build upon the work) for non-commercial purposes.
You must credit the creator of the resource and and license your new creations under the same license as the original.